Made with household ingredients Glitter Sidewalk Chalk Paint is an activity that is perfect for kids of all ages. Preschoolers through older kids will have hours of fun when drawing and doing other kids’ activities with this Glitter homemade sidewalk chalk paint.
Glitter Sidewalk Chalk Paint
During the summer finding activities to entertain the kids can be a challenge. One thing that my kids always love is hanging out outside. Finding activities for them to do outside can be tricky at first. Thankfully it is easy once you figure out what your kids love doing. One of my kids’ favorite things to do during the summer months is drawing on the driveway with this homemade glitter sidewalk paint.
Making homemade glitter sidewalk paint is just as easy as making our puffy sidewalk paint. You can make a batch of each and the kids will be entertained all day.
Along with drawing on the sidewalk and driveway, my kids use the homemade sidewalk paint to create hopscotch boards and play different games like tik tac toe.
Outdoor Fun For Kids
- Outdoor water activities kids will love
- Water balloon games for kids
- Trampoline games for kids
- Playground games for Kids
What is Glitter Sidewalk Chalk Paint?
Glitter sidewalk chalk paint is a type of paint used for outdoor art on sidewalks and other paved surfaces. It is made with flour, water, Shaving Cream, food coloring, and glitter. This paint can then be used to draw on sidewalks and driveways. If your kids love puffy sidewalk chalk paint then they will love this sidewalk paint that is sparkling with glitter.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
There are a few things that will help you when you are making diy sidewalk chalk paint, and things you can change up to make using it even more fun.
Don’t Have Bottles. You can use a muffin tin, paintbrushes, foam brushes, and even sponges. Spray bottles are another way to use homemade chalk paint without using squirt bottles.
Experiment with Colors. Don’t be afraid to mix different shades of sidewalk chalk to create a vibrant palette for your glitter sidewalk chalk paint. The more food coloring you added the more vibrant colors will be.
Adjust the Glitter Intensity. If you want a subtle shimmer, add a small amount of glitter to the paint mixture. For a more dazzling effect, increase the amount of glitter.
Go Beyond Sidewalks. While the name suggests using paint on sidewalks, don’t limit yourself! Explore other surfaces like driveways, patios, or even large pieces of paper spread out in the backyard.
How long does glitter sidewalk chalk paint take to dry?
The drying time of this washable paint can vary depending on the climate and thickness of the paint layer. On average, it takes about 1-2 hours for the paint to dry completely. You want to clean up the paint drawings sooner rather than later if you want the easiest clean up.
How do I clean up the sidewalk chalk paint recipe?
Cleaning up glitter sidewalk chalk paint is relatively easy. If the paint is still wet, you can simply rinse it off with water. I find it easiest to use the garden hose and just spray the paint off the driveway.
For dried paint use warm water with dish soap and then scrub gently with a broom.
Can I store leftover DIY sidewalk paint?
Glitter sidewalk chalk paint does not do well when stored. When stored it will expand so it is best to use it when you make it and then discard any leftover paint and make a new batch the next time the kids want to paint.
Why is Painting with Sidewalk Chalk Paint good for kids?
Painting with sidewalk chalk outdoors offers a wide range of benefits for children. Here are several reasons why playing outside is beneficial for kid:
Creativity and self-expression. Sidewalk chalk provides a medium for children to express their creativity and imagination freely. They can experiment with various colors, patterns, and designs, allowing them to develop their artistic skills and create unique works of art.
Outdoor exploration. Playing with sidewalk chalk encourages children to spend time outdoors and explore their surroundings.
Physical activity. Engaging in sidewalk chalk activities often involves standing, squatting, bending, and moving around, which promotes physical activity and gross motor skill development.
Cognitive development. Drawing with sidewalk chalk can stimulate cognitive development by encouraging children to plan, visualize, and execute their ideas.
Glitter Sidewalk Chalk Paint Ingredients
These ingredients are for one batch of one color of paint. If you are making multiple colors of paint then you will want to use the ingredients for each batch.
- Flour. You want to use all-purpose flour when making this sidewalk paint.
- Shaving Cream. Any foam shaving cream will work, I find that the cheap shaving cream works the best.
- Water (as needed).
- Glitter. You can use any type of glitter and any color that you want.
- Food Coloring. Water-based food coloring is the best choice, I do not recommend using gel food coloring. You can use washable paint instead of food coloring.
- Dish soap. Adding a few drops of dish soap is optional but it does make the clean up easier.
- Ziploc Bag or Funnel (I prefer a ziploc bag)
- Squirty Bottle
How to Make Homemade Sidewalk Chalk Paint
Add the flour into a mixing bowl.
Fold the shaving cream into the flour, mixing it as best you can (it will have some lumps in it).
Add the water in ⅓ cup increments, stirring between each increment, stopping when your mixture is a pancake batter-like consistency of thick and stiff, but creamy.
Next, add drops of food coloring and stir the color in until it is the desired colors and are consistent throughout the paint.
Add glitter and stir it in until the sparkle is consistent throughout.
Using a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off or a funnel, add the paint to the squirty bottle. I prefer to use the Ziploc bag because you can force the thick mixture down a lot more cleanly. You can also leave the paint in the mixing bowl and have the kids use a paint brush to paint.
Repeat the steps for each color that you are making.
Proceed to play with your homemade outdoor chalk paint.
Hands on Fun For Kids
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Shaving Cream
- 1 cup Water (as needed)
- 2 tbsp Edible Glitter
- 15-20 drops water-based food coloring (NOT GEL)
- Ziploc Bag or Funnel (I prefer a ziploc bag)
- Squirty Bottle
- Add the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Fold the shaving cream into the flour, mixing it as best you can (it will have some lumps in it).
- Add the water in ⅓ cup increments, stirring between each increment, stopping when your mixture is a pancake batter-like consistency of thick and stiff, but creamy.
- Next, add drops of food coloring and stir the color in until it is the desired colors and are consistent throughout the paint.
- Add glitter and stir it in until the sparkle is consistent throughout.
- Using a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off or a funnel, add the paint to the squirty bottle. I prefer to use the Ziploc bag because you can force the thick mixture down a lot more cleanly. You can also leave the paint in the mixing bowl and have the kids use a paint brush to paint.
- Repeat the steps for each color that you are making.
- Proceed to play with your homemade outdoor chalk paint.